Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Late Night Hits From The Blog

With my dad beginning his chemo this week and family in town, I won't get to do an entry on the front office chaos, but here's a couple current thoughts:

- Props to the Phils for getting a Cy Young winner and a 2nd postseason anchor without having to tear down the farm to do it. The Phils post-season rotation now sets up like this: Hamels, Lee, Blanton (who has been solid since he came to Philly last July) and potentially J.A. Happ since Jamie Moyer no longer looks like the reliable pitcher he was when he stared down Rube Waddell. Pretty damn imposing, right? Ugh, I'll be drinking heavily when it's a Phillies-Yankees World Series.

On top of that, they were able to keep prized prospects Kyle Drabek and Dominic Brown. Maybe someday the Mets will learn that the farm system is there to help them. Wait, who are we kidding?

- To paraphrase Big Daddy Kane, I'm not saying Mark Buehrle's the best, I'm just saying he's (bleeping) incredible.

- I think the entire argument about when Michael Vick should return is unnecessary, at least for this year. Had the circumstances been different and Roger Goddell was able to make this decision back around May, this would be different. I think that with Vick just being eligible now, if a team was interested in signing, they would have to dedicate part of their camp and preseason to helping him learn the playbook, finding a way to intergrate him into their offense, on top of the PR hit they'd be tkaing. I just don't see why any team (save for the Raiders obviously) would find it worth the trouble.

- If Colin Cowherd really is right (I just threw up in my mouth) and sports is EXACTLY like the stock market, then somebody must have got insider trading on the Pirates. Good lord, it's not even funny anymore.

- Jeff Francoeur's first 14 games with the Mets: .309 avg, 3 HR, 16 RBI. Last 22 games with Atlanta: .233, 1 HR, 6 RBI.........and yes, I'm the driver of the Frenchy bandwagon, why do you ask?

- I like the Magic signing Matt Barnes, I'm just not sure how he'll fit though. If it works, he'd be a big X-factor come playoff time.

- Does anyone else think Brett Favre was intentionally screwing with the Vikings all this time just to get back into the good graces of Packer fans? Nah. As much as I'd like to think it's for real this time that the Wrangler QB is finished, let's wait 'til after Week 9 before we can celebrate.

No comments: