Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Cubs Get A Hard-en

Photobucket

In what has to be classified as a reaction move, the Cubs traded for Rich Harden from the A'S, surrendering Sean Gallagher, the 4-year "future star" Matt Murton, Eric Patterson and minor leaguer John Donaldson. I don't think it's a panic move just yet because I think Gallagher could fit in that rotation, other than that, there's no risk involved on the Cubs' side of things.

Now given the fact that Harden makes Mark Prior look like Tom Glavine in terms of durability, the immediate comparison to former Cub overpitched flameouts Mark Prior and current closer Kerry Wood is brought up. There's a big difference between the make up of those 03-04 squads and this Cub unit and that is a competent bullpen. No longer is Joe Borowski, Kyle Farnsworth, Dave Veres, Mike Remlinger, LaTroy Hawkins or Mark Guthrie standing along the left-field line as the Cub starter apparoaches his 110th pitch. Now, 7 innings is no longer a demand but a luxury for the Cubbies. If it were up to me, I'd put Harden on a Joba-like pitch count til Labor Day and go from there, remember Grant Hill feels sorry for this cat.

If Harden should end up shattering like the glass he is made of, Billy Beane should appear on the 6 P.M. SportsCenter smoke a cigar, put it out on Josh Elliott's face, do his best Kool Moe Dee impression and shout "How you like me now?". Actually, I'll do the 2nd part myself. I'm interested to see who he gets to fall for Joe Blanton, trouble is, he's submarining his trade value this season. If I was Billy Beane, after watching Mark Mulder last 16 pitches tonight, I'd spend the next week patting myself on the back.

The thing is, many scouts, anaylsts and players believe Harden has the best stuff of any pitcher in the league. If the stars align and Harden makes it through October unscathed, the Cubs have to the odds-on favorite to win the World Series. A rotation of Zambrano-Dempster(he'd have to start at home)-Harden and a not too shabby 4th starter in Ted Lilly would be ungodly. As I said, the Cubs didn't have anything to lose because of who they gave up but I think they are still the best team even without Harden. I'm interested to see what the Cards will do in the next week or so, whether they will go after alleged "ace" A.J. Burnett. But that's another entry.

No comments: